phone (847) 564-8662
fax (847) 564-8419
JENNIFER L. HANSEN is a partner with the law firm of Whitted, Hansen and Takiff, LLC. Prior to joining the firm, Ms. Hansen was an attorney with the Lake County Public Defender’s Office. Ms. Hansen received her law degree from the University of Wyoming in 1998 and her LL.M. in European and Comparative Law from the Universiteit Maastricht in Maastricht, the Netherlands in 1999. She obtained her B.A. in English and Spanish from Carthage College in 1995.
Ms. Hansen focuses her practice to the areas of special education law, school residency, school discipline matters, mental health law, probate and guardianship matters, criminal and civil litigation for juveniles and adults, confidentiality issues, bullying investigations, post-secondary education matters (including appealing post-secondary dismissals), DCFS and child welfare matters, school employment issues, and domestic relations (as a Guardian ad Litem, Child’s Representative, and/or Attorney for the Child only).
Ms. Hansen also represents select public and private schools and special education cooperatives both in Illinois and throughout the country. She also provides consultative services to schools and institutions in the areas of bullying investigations, employment investigations, and legislative support.
In addition, Ms. Hansen represents mental health providers and practitioners, mental health facilities and hospitals in the areas of mental health law and confidentiality, IDFPR matters, and contractual issues.
Ms. Hansen has been a speaker in the areas of special education law, mental health law, school discipline, and school records. She is also a trained mediator. Her mediation practice primarily focuses on domestic relations issues.
Ms. Hansen co-teaches School Law classes with Neal Takiff for master’s level students through Aurora University. Ms. Hansen is fluent in Spanish. Ms. Hansen has been a percussionist with the Lake Geneva Symphony Orchestra since 2001.
Areas of Practice:
- Special Education
- Mental Health, Confidentiality, and Subpoena Issues
- Criminal Litigation (Juveniles and Adults)
- Civil Litigation (Juveniles and Adults)
- School Residency
- School Discipline
- DCFS, Child Welfare
- Domestic Relations (Guardian ad Litem, Child’s Representative, Attorney for the Child Only)
- Carthage College, Kenosha, Wisconsin, 1995 B.A. English and Spanish
- University of Wyoming College of Law, Laramie, Wyoming, 1998 J.D.
- Universiteit Maastricht, Maastricht, the Netherlands 1999 LL.M.
Aurora University, Adjunct Professor, Graduate Level Education Law Courses
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- The Sharing Center, Board Member
- ISBA Disability Law Committee, Member
- Illinois State Bar Association, Member
- Illinois Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Member
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Member
- Lake County Bar Association, Member
- Association of Women Attorneys of Lake County, Member
Past Employment Positions:
Lake County Public Defender’s Office, Misdemeanor and Felony Attorney